Do you know that Jesus has done the same thing? He has a list of qualities that He is looking for in His Bride. With this in mind let us look at a Scripture that may seem unusual for this topic at first.
You see, with God everything is “black and white” with no grey areas. The reality is that you and I will either spend eternity with Jesus or forever separated from Him. To live with Him forever means that you will be a part of His Bride. Those who spend eternity in hell, separated from Him and heaven, will have done so by the choices they had made.
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
This verse lists those who will spend eternity apart from Jesus, having disqualified themselves from being a part of the Bride of Christ. We can therefore discern the characteristics that Jesus seeks in His Bride by identifying the opposite of each quality.
1. Fearful – Those who easily give in to intimidation from the enemy of the Gospel
|The Warrior Bride of Christ|
Jesus' Bride - FEARLESS
- knows that Jesus always protects His own
- courageously spreads the good news of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- does not water down the Gospel because of pressure from detractors
2. Unbelieving – literally those who are unfaithful; cannot be trusted
Jesus’ Bride – TRUSTWORTHY
- Faithful to do the will of the Lord
- Can be trusted to obey His directions, even when they don’t seem to make sense
3. Abominable – those who do things that are disgusting, distasteful and loathsome in the eyes of God
Jesus’ Bride – DELIGHTFUL
- Lifestyle is pleasing to the Lord
- Practices Philippians 4:8 - thinks on things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely, of good report and praiseworthy
4. Murderers – those who kill physically and/or with their tongue – by speaking ill against brothers and sisters
Jesus’ Bride – HONORS OTHERS
- Forgives those who offend
- encourages those who are weak
- corrects those who have fallen - in a spirit of humility and love
5. Whoremongers – those who engage in illicit sexual behavior
Jesus’ Bride – PURE
- If married – faithful to his/her earthly spouse
- If unmarried – faithful to the Lord
6. Sorcerers – engaging in witchcraft and false prophecy; seeking answers from spirits other than the Holy Spirit
Jesus’ Bride – GUIDED BY HIS WORD
- in constant communication with Him
- spirit is sensitive to His voice
7. Idolaters – those who put people or things before God in order of importance
Jesus’ Bride – PUTS JESUS FIRST
- Jesus is the first love
- Everyone and everything else is secondary
8. Liars – those who practice deceit and hypocrisy; say one thing but do another
Jesus’ Bride – TRUTHFUL
- Consistently truthful in communicating with Him
- Not hiding anything from the Lord or pretending about anything
- Everything is out in the open before Him
Rev. 19:7-8 (Amplified Bible)
Let us rejoice and shout for joy [exulting and triumphant]!
Let us celebrate and ascribe to Him glory and honor,
for the marriage of the Lamb [at last] has come,
and His bride has prepared herself.
She has been permitted to dress in fine (radiant) linen, dazzling and white--
for the fine linen is (signifies, represents) the righteousness (the upright, just, and godly living, deeds, and conduct, and right standing with God) of the saints (God's holy people).
Do you qualify to be part of the Bride of Christ?