THE CROWD – GROUND LEVEL
But Jesus withdrew with His disciples to the sea. And a great multitude from Galilee followed Him, and from Judea and Jerusalem and Idumea and beyond the Jordan; and those from Tyre and Sidon, a great multitude, when they heard how many things He was doing, came to Him. So He told His disciples that a small boat should be kept ready for Him because of the multitude, lest they should crush Him. For He healed many, so that as many as had afflictions pressed about Him to touch Him. Mark 3:7-10
Here are some characteristics of the crowd:-
- They often initiate the contact with Jesus because they have specific needs that they want Him to meet
- Many just want to get a “word from the Lord” or a touch from Him to relieve their discomfort
- They are not necessarily interested in committing themselves to have a relationship with Him
- Included in this group are those who will heed the call, those who are to be chosen, the curious and those are there to plot against the ministry
- People hide themselves within the crowd so they can remain unaccountable
- The crowd can be influenced by opposing voices, and can change quickly from “Hosanna” to “Crucify Him.” Therefore the number in the crowd is not an accurate measure of one’s effectiveness in ministry.
When they found Him, they said to Him, “Everyone is looking for You.” But He said to them, “Let us go into the next towns, that I may preach there also, because for this purpose I have come forth.” Mark 1: 37, 38
Notice, also, Jesus’ wisdom in telling the disciples to get a boat ready for Him to get into. This was His way of making sure that:
- the crowd didn’t wear Him out
- He was able to focus on His primary purpose - preaching the Gospel of the Kingdom
If you are a part of the "crowd" in your congregation, please know that this ground level interaction with the Lord will not get you anything but temporary fixes, and even those will run out after a while. Hear Jesus calling you to come up higher - to elevate your relationship with Him. Will you answer His call today?
to be continued......